“The staff is attentive, kind, and professional. I no longer deeply dread dentist appointments! I highly recommend this dental practice and hope they continue to serve the SW Portland area for many years to come.”- Laura S
Portland Tooth Extractions
It’s no secret that getting a tooth extraction can be frightening — especially if you’ve never had one done before.
Our practice always prioritizes saving your natural tooth vs removing it, but sometimes it’s necessary for optimal health. From enabling you to experience life toothache-free to making you an ideal candidate for dental implant placements, there are many reasons why extractions may be a viable option for your situation.
Not sure if you need a tooth extraction or not? Connect with our team to schedule a consultation!
Reasons For Extractions
Why Tooth Removal?
Why do patients need to undergo a tooth extraction for optimal oral health? Here are some of the most common reasons why patients need to get a tooth extraction:
- Severe Decay – A root canal may be an option, but if the decay is too severe, the tooth may need to be extracted.
- Bone Loss – The patient has gum disease (periodontitis) that has destroyed so much bone that it’s impossible to save the tooth.
- Excessive Trauma – The tooth has become so damaged by trauma or another form of injury that it can no longer support itself or function properly in its socket.
- Infection – The patient has an infection in the gums or jawbone surrounding the affected tooth that cannot be treated with other methods.
Pulling teeth in SW Portland
We do everything we can to ensure that everyone who comes in for a dental extraction feels comforted and safe throughout the entire procedure. Here is what to expect:
- Anesthesia – You will be given a local anesthetic (numbing medication) in your mouth. This will make your gums numb and reduce any pain during the procedure.
- Procedure – Your dentist will make an incision in your gums around the tooth being extracted in order to remove it from the mouth.
- Healing – After the extraction has taken place, you will need to give your mouth 7-10 days to heal up before doing an implant restoration (if that is the route you want to take.)
Need to remove a tooth
in Burlingame? Schedule
“Absolutely the best staff and providers! Very friendly, kind and knowledgeable! We love it and so do our kids!”- Kelly N
“Burlingame Dental Arts is amazing and is adding incredible resources and tools for you to be educated on your dental health. The last visit I had was more insightful than all of my dentist visits combined in the last 20 years.”- Andie W.
“I highly recommend Burlingame Dental Arts. The entire team is amazing and very professional. Whether I’m in the office for a cleaning and exam or having a crown placed… the care is always exceptional.”- Nicole M.
“Really good people. Highly skilled and talented staff. All the latest technology and creature comforts, and a prevailing commitment to both craft and family lifelong dental wellbeing!”- Ken W.